Guess where I found myself yesterday?
Bridal expo, anyone?
1. I'm farther along in the planning stages than I thought I'd be. I might not have all of my vendors booked, but I do have an idea of what I'm looking for. This made walking through the expo a quick process; I could rule out most vendors on the spot. While seeing the dozens of venue, floral, and photography booths wasn't very helpful to me, I can see how an expo would be a great starting point for a bride who is just beginning her planning.
2. An expo can be a great place to score a deal... if you do your research first! I wouldn't hire a vendor based off of an expo special, but I would go to an expo if it meant receiving an advertised discount off of one of my favorite vendors. Thrifty tip: You probably don't have to attend an expo to receive a special. Just ask the vendor if they would honor the special (they'll probably value the business enough to knock down the price).
3. The free cake samples are worth it... as long as they're free. I know it's fun to go to these types of things in a group, but I just can't imagine feeling okay about someone spending $10 on entry. If you can't find an online discount, I'd suggest going alone.
4. The vendors really aren't as pushy as you'd think they'd be. Especially when you smile and say, "thanks anyways" ...or walk by quickly without making eye contact (I'm talking to you, creepy DJ with the blaring 80's rock music).
5. When your name tag says, "bride" your name will be "the bride." Don't bother introducing yourself.
(see pink sticker above)
Overall, I think I'm just too much of an online shopper to get anything out of the bridal show experience. The truth is that I would rather narrow down my choices to a select few vendors before having face-to-face meetings... where I run the risk of getting talked into a contract.
Have you ever been to a bridal expo? Did it help you in your planning process?